Friday, August 1, 2008

Blueberry Coffee Cake


I don't bake. I cook- and I love to cook, but I don't bake. My friend Sarah loves to bake and in the past (the way, far away past) we whipped up a few cakes together. Now that I'm baking solo I stick with a box mix. (Gasp! I KNOW- outrageous!) That is, until yesterday.

You see, my grocer put blueberries on sale, 2 for 1, and I adore me some blueberries. It is also picking season here in the Northeast and scrumptiously fat toddler cheeks being stuffed with hand picked berries is a photo op waiting to happen, y'all. So, I had to find something to do with all these berries.

Enter amazingly easy, and equally delicious, coffee cake recipe. Yum.

GATHER:
for topping...
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
1 teaspoon cinnamon

for cake...
1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup melted butter
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen

BAKE:
Topping - In small mixing bowl, combine topping ingredients. Blend with fork until crumbly. Set aside.

Sift 1 1/2 cups sifted flour with baking powder and salt into a bowl. In a medium bowl, beat together beaten egg and 3/4 cup sugar and 1/3 cup melted butter.Add milk and vanilla. Stir in flour mixture and mix well.

Pour 1/2 the batter into a greased and floured 8-inch square or 9-inch layer-cake pan. Sprinkle with blueberries and top with remaining batter.

Sprinkle topping crumb mixture evenly over batter. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes, or until cake tests done. Partially cool in pan on wire rack. Cut coffee cake into squares while still warm.

Let me just say it again... Yum! The only thing that would make this better is some chocolate. Oh, and maybe some walnuts. Then it would be double yum!! Cause chocolate and nuts make good things even better!

No comments: